Should I have a child if I have a disablity or chronic health problem?


An interesting and thoughtful article on a difficult subject Should Disabled People have Children?  The author Elaine Benton has two chronic diseases and decided on balance, that having a child was the right decision for her.

I sometimes have clients who come to me and one of the reasons they are debating whether to have children or not is because they have a health condition or mental health problem.  I always recommend clients speak to a doctor if they haven't already.  And usually they have been given the medical 'go-ahead' to try for a child but often the clients have fears around whether it is fair on the child or whether they would be a good mother or not. 

I like this article because it is very thoughtful and positive about the decision she made.


Comments

Popular Posts